Based on a new study released by American Farmland Trust, finding and affording farmland to rent or buy is universally the greatest challenge for beginning farmers to overcome. While many types of resources are available to support the next generation, when it comes to land access, resources have been too far and few between to address this pervasive and persistent challenge.
- Public Programs that Support Beginning Farmers
- Access to Capital
- Access to Land/Infrastructure
- Agricultural Production, Business Planning and Marketing Assistance
- Resource Management
- Succeeding in the Face of Challenges
- Profiles of Beginning Farmers
Despite the challenges, beginners are finding opportunities to enter and succeed in agriculture, often inspired by and taking advantage of the local food movement. Cultivating the Next Generation: Resources and Policies to Help Beginning Farmers Succeed in Agriculture reports on state and federal programs, and profiles 12 beginning farmers to show what it takes for them to succeed.